Thursday, January 12, 2012

Recycling Wool

Scrapping Together A Small Lap Throw..




(I made this pincushion a long time ago...using a piece of  felted sweater) 









Small Lap Throw.....or??
This is the second one of these I have made.
They are fairly small, under four feet in length and width.
We use them mostly when we are watching tv and need just a little something,
or when we are sitting out on the porch.
 They're also kind of  handy to just throw in the car.

This one is made from a piece of Pendleton blanket I found.
Someone else had already cut into it and crafted from parts of it,
that is why the design is offcenter. I had to use it as it was.
The "vine" is made from old sweaters from thrift stores.......shrunk and nicely felted........
The fun thing about sewing with the sweaters is you can manipulate and shape them so easily.
 I  also shrunk the piece of wool so there are no unraveling worries,
and also that way you don't have to turn the edges under.
The buttons are from my button jars,
odds and ends of embroidery thread were picked up here and there.
However,  the floral fabric for the binding was purchased new.
I had it in my head that I wanted to use a floral fabric for 
an unexpected contrast, and I couldn't find anything that would work. 

I have made several things from felted sweaters,
have you?
Tell me!!!!!



                                                                              





                                                                        

12 comments:

  1. Lovely way to recycle bits of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made a tiny bag from a felted sweater years ago...
    Love your lap throw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made anything from a felted sweater but I certainly have a few waiting! Your lap quilt is simply gorgeous! And the pin cushion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I think the rest of the Pendleton blanket was used to make a teddy bear that was in my lap last night for the first time in ages due to my granddaughter bringing it to me - from off the bench where it usually sits. I bought it at a yard sale in Virginia a few years before my mom died in 2k3 so it has special memories. I'll have to go look but think it's the exact same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the things you've made with your felted sweaters! I took a couple felting classes last year and had a blast. I haven't tried manipulating sweaters(yet), but there are some fun felted mittens at the clothing boutique I work in, which are great! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very seldom do I see something I would really like to have. I would like to have this. Ha. Oh well. Needless to say, I love it and it doesn't look off-center to me at all because of the vertical orange lines to the right of the cross.
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi gayle, you make such cool things! I love that throw. I've seen some really cool felt sweater bags. Some lady around here makes them. Very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! What a wonderful *and* lovely use of wool scraps!

    I really need to do some felting one of these days ~ I have the wool scraps. So ... Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't made anything yet from my scraps but you have given me an idea now...I LOVE the pin cushion...I made one in an old silver creamer but I love the felted wool in a spoon like that!! Very inspiring... Thanks for posting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy Canolli! This is just beautiful!!!
    I love the way you made old new again...I would never be able to make something like this, I really admire you. That pin cushion is just brilliant too.
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love that...so cool! I can just see that on a chair by a stone fireplace...

    Now, I want to hear about the three-legged pie safe; that comment made me laugh as I can just about imagine how I would react!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE to make things from felted sweaters! I've made quite a few, so far. I love to see what other people make from them. I feel inspired by your blanket, it is a beautiful work of art. Thinking of new projects is outpacing my production.

    ReplyDelete