Tuesday, July 5, 2011

KIng GeorgeV and Queen Mary

King of United Kingdom and the British Dominions,
Emperor of India , etc. (1910-1936)
                             

The same day I went junking at Bernies I also stopped by Bayside Antiques.
I found this old royal commemorative pin featuring King George V and Queen Mary.
Having just bought the saber tooth at Bernies, my mind started playing around
with the idea of the British Empire.
When George V was king (1910-1936)
The Empire included South Africa among many other countries and continents.
So thinking along those lines, using some of the new things I had picked up,
this is what I came up with: 


This started out much different, but as usual lots of editing happens during the actual construction.



I had to make changes in order to get it to hang right.
I really like the way it turned out.
When you are wearing it it stays nicely balanced and has a great
feel with a very slight sense of movement.

Components: Vintage commemorative pin (back removed and flattened)
Mammoth tusk
Bone beads
Jasper beads
African trade beads 
Saber tooth
Roman Catholic medal-St. Ghislain
(with what seems to be a protective eye on it?)


Strangely enough, I don't seem to have any earrings
that go with this, LOL,
Guess that's next?

What do you think? Would you wear this?
Well, if I never have an occasion to wear it, I think
it looks good on this dress form. :)




 

                                                                                 

8 comments:

  1. OOOOOOOOOOOooh....Ahhhhhhhhhh... WOWWWwwww... Can you tell that I love it? ;)... It's awesome! Hope all is good for you... Is the oil turning red yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm luvin' it, it looks so primitive with your choice of beads, love the bone n tooth. When my daughter and I were still practicing taxidermy, we used lots of Native American artifacts in our turkey tail mounts...the boyz just loved the embellishments...and yes I would wear it if I had a life outside the ranch...but what a great place to hang the cell phone while working in the garden. I love your primitive technique, it truly looks like an artifact straight out of the crypt...I think that's a compliment...ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yeah. Soooo Cool! You need to wear it with something very simple and black so that all attention remains on this piece. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might not where this but I think it's an impressive feat of engineering! And so unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. Can't wait to see you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for all your comments....I know this is a BIT large.....I forgot to add that the saber tooth is just knotted on with leather....it could be removed, and on occasion this could be worn as a choker.

    ReplyDelete