Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Crants For Ida Estelle




Since this is not a traditional crants, in that I made it in 
memory of a much younger girl, I took a few liberties. 
I attatched a small frozen charlette doll to one of the gloves.


Down through the center I hung two white leather gloves,
and a vintage handkerchief.
One glove has the doll and Idas name....
as well as her date of birth and date of death.
The other glove has a sweet poem .




Be always ready no time to delay
I in my youth was called away
Great grief to those that's left behind
But I hope that I'm great joy to find

(I copied this from a crants from the 1700's)


Wax flowers from an antique bridal headpiece
 in the center of the rosettes.


I attatched a small religious medal  and a button
from a childs high button shoe.
(like Ida wore)

OK, let's meet Ida Estelle Walster:


Ida, with her Father , Charles Lloyd Walster
(my grandfather)

Ida, with her little brother Harry,(my Dad)
I'm disapointed..... in this picture they have on the sweetest high button shoes
but they don't show.
(there was one more sister and five more brothers to follow)

I don't know a lot about Ida. She was the first born child
of Charles Lloyd and Edith Carolina Walster, my paternal grandparents.
She was named after both of her grandmothers.
She died when she was five years old. I have heard a couple of different
accounts but think it's safe to say she had a brain tumor. She was taken to 
a hospital in Seattle, a distance of over 30 miles. I am not sure how they traveled,
but at that time there was a train depot in Maltby and they may have traveled by train.
It had to have been an ordeal.
Ida did undergo brain surgery (remember this was in 1927) 
She survived the surgery, but briefly. 
I do know she liked to draw and apparently was fairly gifted for
a child of her age.
She lived her short life on a dairy farm,
and I think was happy and very much loved
with extended family also living nearby.


Lets take Ida her crants.

This is Bear Creek Cemetary
in Snohomish County,Washington State.
This cemetary dates back to the late 1899
or early 1900's. It is still in use today.





A view of the simple country cemetary.

This has been an interesting study for me,
I don't think I am quite done with crants.

(You can see my previous post for a brief history of crantses.)
(crants is the singular, crantses is the plural)

Some pictures for my family:










Maltby Community Church, as it is today.
                                                                                                                                       

13 comments:

  1. Oh Gayle, it's beautiful, what a wonderful reminder of one so young passed on. My paturnal grandmother's name was Estella, I always loved that name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful... so beautiful, Gayle... wowww... I'm speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating! I love how you took your research and transformed it into something so personal.

    As an aside, where did you get your copyright footer? I'm thinking I'd like to do that on my blog, too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Triumphant victory over the lusts of the flesh." Whoa! I've never heard of crants, but eagerly enjoyed reading your account and seeing the one you made for Ida Estelle...so beautiful! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing creation and a touching tribute to Ida. You are so creative and brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gayle, I'm just blown away by this lovely rememberance and gesture. The loss of a child is beyoud my uderstanding, thankfully. However, you have inspired me to do something for my mother's little sister, Dinita (Deeneeta) who died at age 3. My mother, who is 89 now, was only 7 and has a faint memory of her little sister, but she recalls her laying in state in their living room...something she has never forgotten. My aunt, who was older than my mother, said once, she thought her little sister died of leukemia which was impossible to diagnose back in the 20's.

    My grandmother apparently went through an awful depression, went through moments of insane behaviour, once, taking my grandfather's pistol and heading towards town to shoot and kill the doctor who was caring for her little daughter...yikes!! My grandfather caught up with her and they took her back, my poor aunt who was also a child at the time, took care of her, having to run out and chase her as she roamed the nearby foothills. I can't imagine my wonderful, funny, adorable grandmother could ever behave that way, but those were different times.

    Anyway, you have inspired me to do something for that little girl.

    Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Gayle you did such a beautiful job on that crant!!! What a lovely remembrance for your aunt...I love the little doll you put on one of the gloves...what a wonderful gift for a little girl...How horrible for her to die at such a young age and go through what she did...I had an uncle who died from diphtheria when he was 6...1931...those were hard times back then...my aunt's middle name was Estelle too...must have been a commonly used name...Great job on the crant!! and on the history as well...It came out beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How creative Gayle! To take your research, make a crant for your lost aunt, and then to take it to her grave in memory of her. It is simply beautiful and your adding of the doll and button and poem make it very special.

    Did you leave the crant at the grave? Personally, I would have taken it home to place somewhere special so the weather wouldn't get to it and I could keep the memory preserved, but than there's a part of me that thinks you should leave it there with your aunt as a meaningful gesture of remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gayle, besides being one of the most creative people i know, i can add thoughtful, compassionate. Your crant is unbelievably beautiful. All your added touches, gloves poem, doll. Ida is shining her light on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these personal images and story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely idea! You've inspired me to make a different sort of crant for my dear mother, possibly an embroidery or collage of keepsakes. Thank you for looking at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. This turned out unbelievably wonderful. The BEST part of your story for me was the fact that you took it to the cemetery. I love that and I'm sure she did too. PS...my hubby's maternal grandmother was named Estelle and we gave our daughter a version of it for her middle name. Stelle.

    ReplyDelete